Want to improve energy savings in the winter? Here are some tips!
Fath Properties’ goal is to provide seventy (70) degree heat to all apartments where we control the heat. The majority of residents find this to be a comfortable temperature, and it allows us to sensibly manage our costs and do our part to conserve energy. If your apartment’s temperature is between sixty-nine (69) and seventy-one (71) degrees, your heating system is probably working fine. Apartment temperatures will vary slightly from unit to unit. If your apartment is cooler than seventy (70) degrees, and no other problems exist with the system, there are several things you can do to maximize the temperature:
- Furniture or other items set in front of your heat registers or vents will keep the heat from circulating in the apartment. Please keep all items at least eight (8) inches away from registers or vents. Proper circulation is essential!
- Make sure all windows and doors are tightly shut. If there are still heavy drafts around windows or gaps in doors, please call your leasing office to have this addressed.
- Make sure the vent(s) on your wall unit air conditioner(s) are in the ‘closed’ position and that there is not air sweeping in around the units.
- It is normal for windows and the area around them to feel cold to the touch since glass is not a good insulator. Heavy insulated drapes and curtains are the best way to minimize the effect of this cold air on the apartment temperature.
- If you have baseboard registers, make sure the metal flap inside is lifted all the way up and that you can see inside the register. This flap acts as a vent; if it is resting down on the front panel, the heat cannot escape.
- If you have a forced air system, make sure your thermostat is set on ‘Heat’ and ‘Auto’.
- Finally, please dress for the season, i.e. sweaters, heavy shirts, and slacks. Few people are comfortable in T-shirts or shorts, even inside, in the winter.
If you have further questions or need service for your heat, please contact your community leasing office. We will be happy to send out a maintenance technician.